Tuesday 15 May 2007

communion of literature

Just a quick note to point out that the latest instalment of Yann Martel's suggested reading to Canadian Prime Minister Steven Harper is out: The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, by Agatha Christie.

I've never read any Agatha Christie, which is probably an admission that will see me thrown from this venerable forum. I suppose there are things that just wouldn't occur to you to read for whatever reason - that's what makes this arrangement we have here a good one. We all suggest things that are new and different to each other, give 'em a go and see how we enjoy it.
I'd also like to draw your attention to Martel's comments on second hand books that made me want to shake his hand.

1 comment:

my name is kate said...

Ruth Rendell rather nastily but amusingly once said that to call Christie's characters cardboard cutouts was an insult to cardboard cutouts but I'm actually quite an AC fan.

I've worked my way through what I suspect is all or at least most of her stuff and while some of it is shite some of it is very good stuff - certainly required reading if you're into the genre. The Murder of Roger Acroyd is a good place to start but most of the Hercule Poirot books stand up pretty decently. Miss Marple, on the hand, gives me the shits.